Established in 2007, the Regional State League competition consists of two divisions – Open Division and 17 & Under Division. The Regional State League was first conducted in the North Central Region of Victoria and was hosted in Bendigo. Since the introduction of the program by Netball Victoria, the competition has continued to expand to other regional centres including the Eastern Regional State League in Gippsland and Western Regional State League in Warrnambool, both starting up in 2008 in their respected regions. In 2011, the expansion continued with the introduction of the Goulburn/North East Regional State League hosted in Shepparton, with 2013 seeing the Central Highland region also participate and hold their competition in Ballarat
The Regional State League concept recognises the changing demands on our players, coaches, officials and administrators – school, university, work and other netball commitments – and balances this with our responsibility to develop pathways for netball participants across Victoria regardless of where they live.
Players are provided with an opportunity to play with and against the best talent from their region without the barriers of traveling to Melbourne.
Coaches are offered the opportunity to be mentored by high performance coaches throughout the season providing invaluable advice and support, whilst C Badged umpires are provided with essential mentoring and coaching throughout the season to work toward achieving a B Badge accreditation. If you wish to nominate a coach, please contact Alex Poulton directly at Netball Victoria on (03) 9321 2247 or [email protected]
Regional State League Objectives
- Provide an elite competition in Regional Centres
- Provide clear pathways for players, coaches, officials and administrators to elite competitions including the Devine Victorian Netball League
- TID opportunities for players for Zone Academy selection
- TID opportunities for players to be invited to Victorian state team screenings
- TID opportunities for umpires to be tested for B and A Grade Badges
- Link with Netball Victoria’s Regional Infrastructure Program and increase the existing investment in regional netball
- Increase the profile of netball in regional communities
- Encourage media and sponsorship interest
The Regional State League competitions aim to showcase the talented athletes in a number of regional centres across Victoria and provide access to a high performance pathway for athletes, coaches, umpires and officials.
League and Association based representative teams compete in a seven week season across five regions in Victoria. These regions form the following leagues:
- Eastern Regional State League presented by Gipps Tafe
- North Central Regional State League
- Western Regional State League
- Goulburn/North East Regional State League
- Central Highlands Regional State League
For more information about Regional State League please contact Alex Poulton at Netball Victoria on (03) 9321 2247 or [email protected]
The Eastern Regional State League is proudly sponsored by: