Southern Saints cause upset of the round

The Wilson Storage Southern Saints have claimed their fourth win of the season, defeating 2016 runners-up, City West Falcons, in the Championship division on Wednesday night.


The sixth-placed Wilson Storage Southern Saints came from behind to topple fourth-placed City West Falcons in the upset of the round.

City West led across for three quarters, up by as much as five goals at three-quarter-time, however a strong defensive final quarter from Saints, Sharni Lambden and Julie Smith kept the Falcons to just 11-goals.

Saints shooter, Rahni Samason was key to the team’s victory, scoring 52 goals from 54 attempts in the team’s 65-61 win.

As expected, the top-of-the-ladder clash between Melbourne University Lightning and DC North East Blaze came down to the wire.

Much of the match went goal-for-goal, with neither team able to get a real hold on the lead.

The Blaze led at both the quarter and half-time breaks, however it would be the Lightning who held the lead when it counted, winning the match 52-47 to move a game clear on top of the ladder.


Division one

ACU Sovereign’s Rebecca Scott played an integral role in her team’s 11-goal victory over the Monash University Storm.

Scoring 41 of her team’s 55 goals, Scott’s 12-goal first quarter saw the team lead by four at first break, however a strong defensive quarter from the Storm’s defence saw them take the lead at half-time, 27-26.

The Sovereigns were back on track in the second half, regaining the lead in the third-term to win 55-44.

It was a thrilling conclusion to the match between the Boroondara Express and Peninsula Waves, with the Express one-goal victors, 49-48.

The Waves had a four-goal lead at the main break, however the Express rallied to lead by three at three-quarter-time, and one-goal at the main break.



There was also an upset in the 19/U division, with the fifth-placed Ariels defeating the second-placed Geelong Cougars.

The Ariels led from the first break, 15-9, all the way through to the final quarter, where they finished seven-goal victors, 50-43.

The Melbourne University Lightning relinquished a seven-goal first-quarter lead to go down to the DC North East Blaze by two goals, 46-44.

A 16-5 goal quarter for the Blaze in the second period saw them flip the seven-goal deficit to a four-goal lead. Despite many comebacks from the Lightning, they could not regain the lead.