The Netball Victoria Board approved the Netball Victoria Gender Regulation and the Netball Victoria Promoting Male Participation in Netball Policy which came into effect 1 January 2019.
What you must do to adhere to the regulation:
- Review the Regulation and all supporting information and contact Netball Victoria if clarification is required – this should be done as early as possible.
- Communicate with your members to advise of the new regulation and that your committee is currently working through how your club/association/league will be implementing the regulation.
- Determine which competitions will be offered for 2019 including how these competitions will be labelled – consider what consultation you may wish to undertake to do this. Consider if any new mixed or male single gender competition can be offered.
- Once competitions are determined, review bylaws and update accordingly. Refer to the Netball Victoria Sample Bylaws template to ensure you use consistent language to help support this change.
- If new mixed and male single gender competitions are not possible for 2019 – consider what impact this may have on your members and provide ideas and support to assist in finding options to play.
- If new mixed and male single gender competitions are not possible for 2019 – consider how your club/association/league would like to consider future options.
To help support affiliates understand the NV Gender Regulation, and how to apply it, a detailed Netball Victoria Gender Regulation Question & Answer document and an updated Netball Victoria Sample Bylaws template has been created.
Netball Victoria’s Policy for the Inclusion of Transgender and Gender Diverse People in community netball was developed in consultation with Proud2Play, driven by our purpose as an organisation to improve people’s lives through our sport and our belief that participation in netball has the power to unite communities, empower individuals and break down barriers.
Netball Victoria (NV) recognises and respects all gender identities and believes everyone has the right to participate in a safe, respectful and welcoming environment. This values-led policy is a step towards better reflecting the diversity of our community and Victorian netball participants.
The policy states that participants and players are allowed to participate in any NV-affiliated competition or activity in accordance with their gender identity, irrespective of their legal sex classification.
It applies to all NV members associated with affiliated netball associations, leagues, clubs, administrators, coaches, umpires, volunteers, players and spectators participating in community netball competitions, and will come into effect as of 1 July 2022.
NV also acknowledges the need to distinguish between community netball and elite netball. Elite pathway programs including the Victorian Netball League (VNL) and Victorian Fury team do not fall within the scope of this policy, and should refer to the Netball Australia Inclusion of Transgender and Gender Diverse Athletes in Australian Elite Netball Competitions Policy.
If you have any questions about this policy or require assistance in understanding its application, please contact the NV LGBT+ Support Group.
03 9321 2255