In recent times, our society has become more environmentally aware, and it was a natural evolvement that Netball Victoria follows suit. Since 2019, Netball Victoria has been a member of the Sports Environment Alliance (SEA) and in February 2020, the inaugural Netball Victoria Environment Working Group (EWG) was established to focus on 'empowering our netball community to live healthier lives in a healthier environment'.
The EWG consists of Netball Victoria staff members from each department who have a passion and interest in this space. So far, the EWG has been actively involved in:
- Advocating the Victorian government to establish a container deposit recycling scheme which directly benefits the sporting community
- Attending Sports Environment Alliance events to become more environmentally aware
- Encouraging all Netball Victoria staff to follow the three R’s – reduce, re-use and recycle
- Working with local government on environmental considerations for new and upgraded netball facilities
- Developing a Netball Victoria Sustainability Policy
- Ensure you have recycling bins present at your courts - speak to your local council if not
- Review your canteen structure and consider whether you can reduce carbons by removing the use of single-use plastics such as bottles of water, straws, packaging etc
- Log onto the Sports Environment Alliance website, https://www.sportsenvironmentalliance.org/ and consider becoming a member.